YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Performance Massage
This qualification will provide learners with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide massage for preparation and recovery from strenuous activity. It is for those who wish to progress in a career as a Sports Massage Therapist on an employed or self-employed basis. This qualification is mapped directly to the National Occupational Standards regarding planning, applying and evaluating complementary and natural healthcare to prevent and manage injury.
The course will be led by highly qualified tutors who will provide you with all of the resources and support needed to pass. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to learn how to apply anatomy and physiology knowledge and principles of health to massage treatments and how to provide pre-, post- and inter-event maintenance and restorative massage techniques.
Please note the course is 22 weeks.
• Be fit enough to perform sports massage
• Have good levels of maths and English
• Have skills in communication pitched at Level 3 and above.
Course Modules -
• Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology
• Lifestyle Management and Health Awareness
• Further Anatomy and Physiology for Performance Massage
• Massage Professional Practice
• The Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
• Assessing Clients and Treatment Planning
• Application of Performance Massage
• Providing Post-Treatment Care Advice
How will I be assessed?
• Assessment workbooks
• Short answer papers and worksheets for theory knowledge
• Completion of client assessments, application of sports massage therapy treatments and evaluations
What can I do next
The YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Performance Massage is a pre-entry requirement for the YMCA Level 4 Certificate in Sport Massage Therapy which is required for industry recognition as a sports massage therapist.
These qualification may e used to support access towards degree studies related to Sports Therapy and/or Sport and Exercise Sciences.