YMCA Certificate in Gym Instructing, Level 2
“The aim of this qualification is to develop the knowledge and skills of learners to professionally, prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment as a Level 2 Gym Instructor. The YMCA level 2 course is widely recognised as the essential qualification required for the role and is mapped directly to the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) and the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs).
The course will be lead by highly qualified tutors who will provide you with all of resources and support needed to pass. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology, the principles of training sessions and take part in planning and delivering appropriate and effective exercise sessions for clients.
Please note that the duration of this course is 15 weeks.”
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, however, a reasonable level of fitness and gym experience is advantageous and you will be invited to come for an informal interview to assess your suitability for this course before enrolment.
Modules will include:
1. Anatomy and physiology for exercise and fitness instructors
2. Providing a positive customer experience in the exercise environment
3. Lifestyle management and health awareness
4. Gym-based programme planning and preparation
5. Gym-based programme delivery and professional instruction
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a variety of methods including:
• A multiple choice theory paper for the Anatomy unit
• Assessment workbooks
• Completion of a Learner Assessment Record
• On course practical delivery of specific gym-based exercises
• Observation of a consultation and instruction of a gym session
What can I do next
You might consider applying for the Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Practitioner) or one of our Higher Education course such as the HND in Sport and Exercise Science