What is work experience?
At Heart of Worcestershire College we offer a wide range of programs, all of which have a requirement for a work experience. Typically work placement will last for between 30 and 315 hours and may be in a block of time, one day a week for a specific number of weeks or a combination of both. The pattern of hours will be tailored to the employers needs and the aim is to provide students with an opportunity to explore their career aspirations with companies in our local community and help them develop the key employability skills required by employers. Longer placements serve to develop their industry knowledge and specialist skills further as well as the opportunity to:
- Help build a students confidence and self-esteem
- Become involved in the functional work of the organization and become part of the team
- Have their ability stretched once they have gained confidence in it
Develop a students networking skills and opportunities
What are the benefits of being a work experience employer?
There are a number of benefits for employers who are working with us to provide placements which include:
- Employers gain access to new talent which can support recruitment needs and future workforce planning
- Employers may make use of the knowledge young people have in the areas of Marketing and IT and increase understanding of current educational skills and trends in the related industry
- It’s a great opportunity to gain new ideas and ways of thinking from the next generation of employees, customers, and consumers. Young people bring fresh and innovative ideas and skills which an employer may be able to utilize.
- Work Placements can help develop the organisations Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy and raise the community profile of the organisation amongst students, parents and employees
- An employer can develop their present workforce by creating not only mentoring and coaching development opportunities and an opportunity to share skills and knowledge but it can boost employee motivation overall.
How can I get involved?
If you're interested in finding out more about becoming a work experience employer please contact
Industrial Placement Liaison Officer
Heart of Worcestershire College
All Saints' Building, Worcester, WR1 2JF