Mathematics Functional Skills for Adults, from Entry 1 to Level 2
Functional Skills are an ideal course for those who wish to gain a recognised qualification in mathematical skills up to Level 2 or GCSE Maths.
Courses are aimed at adults, over 19 years of age, seeking to improve their mathematical skills and to gain a nationally recognised qualification up to Level 2 that will assist with job prospects, entry requirements for higher level courses and everyday skills for life.
Our students have often been out of education for some time and have a number of reasons for attending. Some need maths qualifications to help with job prospects, others wish to go on to other courses to further or change their careers, and many wish to improve their own skills. The length of your course will depend on your skill level. Courses are delivered by supportive, experienced tutors in a friendly environment.
Students say that they benefit from:
• Increased confidence
• The enjoyment of learning and working alongside other people who understand how they feel
• Improvements in maths and English for employability and everyday life
• Opportunities to progress through the different levels at their own pace.
There are no entry requirements for this course. However, you are expected to be committed to attending classes as regularly as possible and on time. Students wishing to start on a part-time course are individually assessed prior to enrolment. A one-to-one interview is also carried out to determine the most suitable class.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed and taught in a highly supportive environment where your personal tutor will work with you to develop your confidence in your skills as well as brushing up on those areas you feel you need to improve most.
What can I do next
You could go on to:
• Other courses within the college or elsewhere
• Use your qualification at work
• Support your children’s learning with more confidence
• Study maths at a higher level