BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Information and Creative Technology
Take your first steps towards a career in the IT industry. This course covers computer networking essentials, software development as well as security, technology businesses and portfolio building.
As well as studying the Level 2 ICT course, students will also complete:
• Work experience hours (or complete virtual projects),
• Attend Industry Skills Development classes,
• Complete independent work at home,
• Attend the tutorial classes
• Attend Maths or/and English classes if they have below a grade 4 at GCSE
Please note that this course is predominantly aimed at 16 to 19 year olds.
Applicants require 4 GCSE’s grade 3 and above (A*-D). Entry will be subject to a satisfactory reference and interview.
Entry decisions will be discretionary after interview and based upon achievement of the above entry requirements. Students will continually be assessed through a probation period to ensure they are on the correct level.
• Unit 1: The Online World – Externally Assessed
• Unit 2: Technology Systems – Externally Assessed
• Unit 3: A Digital Portfolio
• Unit 11: Computer Networks
• Unit 20: Building a Personal Computer
• Unit 21: A Technology Business
• Unit 22: Computer Security in Practice
• Unit 24: Software Systems Development
Skills developed include:
• Project management
• Communication skills
• Business awareness
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through assignment building and may include short tests, reports, practical activities and projects. There are two external assessments on this course which are short tests set by the exam board.
You will have the chance to work with local developers and businesses to create products for them, thus building your portfolio in a real working environment.
What can I do next
What Can I Do Next?
If you want to take your skills to the next level, you can take progress onto:
• Level 3 T-Level in Digital Production, Design and Development
• Level 3 T-Level in Digital Support Services
Alternatively, you can choose to enter a range of career pathways including:
• IT Technician
• IT Helpdesk Analyst
• Network Support Engineer
• Software Developer