Adult Recreational - Hot Shots Essential Photography (Online)
A short four week course covering basic photographic methods and then moving on to applying these lessons to more specific areas e.g. Portraiture, Still life and macro, and Landscape. The course will be delivered by Gerry Beattie, an experienced photography tutor.
The course will be delivered online via ‘Zoom’, a web-based video conferencing tool with a local, desktop client and a mobile app that allows users to meet online; as a result, you will need a computer (or other device that supports Zoom), webcam, headphones with a microphone and a good web connection.
You will need:
- Any digital camera will be essential. This includes compacts, bridge cameras or digital single lens reflex cameras (DSLRs) or mirrorless.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
Week 1 Fundamentals: Using your camera
1. Cleaning and using your camera. Camera basics.
Memory disks. Connecting your camera to your PC.
Using card readers. Uploading your work to the cloud
Google Drive or Dropbox etc.
Composition: Improve your photography
1. The more you look the more you will see.
2. Have your camera with you at all times. Take more
3. Study any magazines, books, newspapers/media.
Notice how they construct the photographs whether it
an advertiser shot, a studio portrait or a documentary
4. Study and learn from other photographers.
Week 2: People and portraits. What is a portrait?
1. Single light portrait. Shutter speed and aperture. Using
2. Black and white
3. Silhouette and shadows
5. Peopleless portraits.
6. Using basic flash in portraiture.
Week 3: Still life/macro. What is still life?
1. What can we learn from still life photography? Shutter
speed and aperture. Using different lenses.
2. Setting up a still life photography
3. Biographical still life.
Week 4: Landscape. What is a landscape?
1. Composition and lighting. Shutter speed and aperture.
Using different lenses.
2. Trees and flowers
3. Macro photography as a landscape option.
4. Abstract photography in a landscape setting.