Put to rest or revive those school needlework lessons! Or indulge that passion for fashion! Cut out, stitch and make a garment in a creative environment with professional facilities.
This course is aimed at beginners who have little or no sewing experience, but have the desire to make their own clothes, as well as those with some dress making experience wishing to develop their skills further. Do you have a passion for fashion? Learn to design and make your own clothes with our “fab-ric” Garment Making course.
This course will be taught by an experienced tutor with a experience of dressmaking and pattern cutting.
This course is delivered over 8 weeks, and consists of 2 hour weekly sessions.
For this course you will need:
- To provide your own sewing machine
- A sewing kit that includes:
- Dressmaking Scissors
- Pins and needles
- Tape measure
- Dressmaking pattern "Simplicity 3935"; you can buy this either in store or online (please do not substitute)
- Fabric (woven) to make pyjamas in your chosen size; the details for this will come within your dressmaking pattern envelope. If bought in store, an assistant in the fabric shop will be able to help
- Elastic (details within dressmaking pattern)
- Notebook and pen
Please bring your own refreshments with you.
Please note this course depends on minimum student numbers to run, we therefore do not recommend you purchase any equipment until the course is confirmed as going ahead. You will be fully refunded the course fee should the course be cancelled.
During the course you will be guided through the garment making process as you work on a piece of clothing of your choice using a commercial dressmaking pattern and your own fabric.
The tutor will also introduce you to a range of key dressmaking skills along the way through a series of fun and informative tutorials covering things like how to insert a zip or attach bias binding.
What can I do next
You will be able to progress onto other design courses e.g. sew a skirt workshop.